Saturday 22 January 2011

Stripes




At the moment I'm working towards my exhibition at Yorkshire Sculpture Park that will open in early April and although I have done lots so far I still have masses to figure out.

When I first started to look for bumblebees last summer I found the best way to remember my stripe combinations for ID was to draw them / paint them in my note book. I liked the look of the images and considered doing some for the exhibition. I tried different sizes and thickness of paper and tried different paints and also colour pencils etc. I spent ages considering how to present them and perhaps frame a whole series. However, it turns out that the ones i like most are the very basic ones on little sheets of paper from a note book - a bit wonky and the paper showing the lines - so these are the ones i'll have in the exhibition.


I have painted one image for each of the nine species of bumblebee i found at YSP during last summer:

Bombus terrestris - Buff-tailed Bumblebee*
Bombus lapidarius - Red-tailed Bumblebee

Bombus hypnorum - Tree Bumblebee

Bombus pascuorum - Common Carder-bee

Bombus bohemicus - Gypsy Cuckoo-bee*

Bombus lucorum - White-tailed Bumblebee

Bombus hortorum - Garden Bumblebee

Bombus pratorum - Early Bumblebee
*
Bombus vestalis - Vestal Cuckoo-bee

*image shown above

No comments:

Post a Comment