Thursday 24 March 2011

Dad's Tall Story


I was at Manchester Town Hall last night for the Bruntwood Awards for Arts and Business North 2011. The Co-op Membership supported my Bee Project via Yorkshire Sculpture Park and we were shortlisted for the Environmental Partnership Award.

I was happy I could go to the town hall to take images of the bee mosaics - the bee is the emblem of Manchester.


When I told my dad i was going (he's from Manchester) he told me that in the town hall men's toilets above the urinals are honey bees: the latin Apis, being a little mank joke. Thankfully before i went in to the men's with my camera, i bumped into a member of the town hall staff and asked him if it were true. Looking at me like i was slightly deranged, he informed me it wasn't.
Thanks dad.


The do itself was very corporate - nobody did a Gwyneth Paltrow and sobbed uncontrollably
when accepting their award, and absolutely nobody thanked their mum or dad. All very disappointing.

As it goes, we didn't win.
I commiserated with myself by drinking champagne (or quite possibly a cheaper alternative) at the after party which was in the fabulous Midland Hotel - i've always wanted to go inside since reading a WG Seabald book where he mentions the hotel.

All in all, a good night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment